40 Ways to Give
For our 40th annniversary, here are 40 ways you can give to the women, children and youth who come to Haven’s transition or safe houses and who use our services.
Your donations go a long way to helping the women and their families feel supported by their community. Your helpful actions contribute to the Positive Social Response we want to provide to all women who experience gender based and power based violence.
1. Healthy snacks for children, youth and women
2. Dried goods for our pantry
3. Pajamas for children, youth and women
4. Socks and underwear and children, youth and women
5. Toiletries (soap, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, toothpaste and deodorant) for children, youth and women
6. Hair brushes for children, youth and women
7. Cosmetics for women
8. Bath towels, hand towels and facecloths for children, youth and women
9. Linen and blankets for children, youth and women
GIFT CERTIFICATES & TRANSPORTATION
10. Bus tickets for women and children
11. Gift certificates for gas
12. Gift certificates for groceries, movies, hair salons, stores (Walmart, Chapters, Winners/HomeSense, drug stores, Woodgrove Mall), and activities (Romper Room, bowling, Parks and Rec)
13. New or used cell phones with their chargers
14. Books for children, youth and women
15. Games for children and youth
ART & WRITING SUPPLIES
16. Markers (thick and thin)
17. Pens and pencils
18. Construction paper and poster board
19. White paper
20. Glue sticks
21. Scissors for children, youth and women
22. Journals for children, youth and women
Please note that we are unable to issue tax receipts for the above items. We are able to issue tax receipts for monetary donations of $20 or more, with a processing time of four to six weeks.
When purchasing items, please keep in mind that Children are birth to 12 years old and Youth are 13 – 18 years old.
No used items please; we only accept new products. We suggest that you bring your gently used items to the Friends of Haven Thrift Store, a privately owned business, separate from Haven Society, that offers gift certificates to Haven clients, accepts donations for Haven in their Wishing Well, and donates a small portion of their profit to Haven Society.
SUPPLIES FOR PEACE PROGRAM FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH
23. Polished stones, gems, jewels and jars
25. Affirmation cards
26. Spirit animal cards
27. Various small balls
ITEMS FOR CARE KITS & WOMEN’S COUNSELLING
28. Plain boxes from the dollar store
29. Items for women to decorate the plain boxes for their care kits: feathers, gems, ribbon, Oprah magazines (to cut out pictures), beautiful paper
30. Unscented candles
31. Nice soap
32. Small containers of bubble bath (Ombra works well)
33. Chocolate or tea (individually wrapped)
34. Small containers of bubbles to blow (to remember to breathe)
35. Small container of playdough (for grounding)
36. Essential oils, like lavender and mint for calming and grounding
37. Small colouring sheets and pencil crayons
38. Affirmation cards
NOTE RE CELL PHONES
We can only accept newer smart phones that are 4G (touch screen).